The story of Grace Church begins 225 years ago with the founding of a congregation by a small varied group of early settlers in Rutland’s East Parish. They built a meeting house sanctuary. To them, a religious core was as important as a civic one. They wanted trained ministers to teach and interpret the Bible. Two more church buildings followed at thirty-year intervals responding to the rise in membership and the rapid growth of the Rutland community. Our present sanctuary was built in 1860 on the eve of the Civil War. It was one of the largest such structures in the state and it has served as a permanent home of the Rutland congregation.